GSA is driving innovation and improving the delivery of services to citizens through a number of initiatives being delivered today as part of the one year anniversary of the Digital Government Strategy. These new services and resources along with the release of new GSA mobile products and open data (or APIs) were launched as part of the Administration’s Digital Government Strategy, an effort set to transform public-facing government services in line with 21stcentury expectations.
Multiple teams within GSA came together to help deliver on these initiatives. Through direction in the Digital Strategy, GSA is responsible for developing and delivering government-wide services and solutions to enable agencies to achieve the strategy objectives, while also delivering on our own agency-specific deliverables.
Key Digital Strategy deliverables developed by GSA include:
– A data.gov tool that aggregates the hundreds of new datasets now opened through application programming interfaces (APIs) that were released across the federal government as part of the Digital Government Strategy. Theses APIs will fuel the development of innovative “apps and services” that can help citizens in areas such as health, public safety, education, consumer protection, and much more.
– A suite of free, open source tools available on the developer platform GitHub that enable other agencies to improve outreach and engagement with target audiences.
– A Mobile Application Development Program that provides mobile testing tools, procurement assistance, code sharing resources and best practices to enable agencies to better plan, develop, test and launch customer-facing mobile websites and apps.
– A government-wide Managed Mobility Program that gives agencies a one-stop-shop for assistance in securely deploying and managing mobile applications and enterprise data on mobile devices, as well as the management and security of the devices and mobile operating systems themselves. The program also provides requirements documents, a solutions provider list, an evaluation template and a user guide.
– Government-wide Blanket Purchase Agreements for mobile devices and wireless voice and data services as part of the Federal Strategic Sourcing Initiative (FSSI). This solution will provide wireless service plans and devices to federal, state and local agencies allowing for better management and consolidation of wireless spending, while at the same time saving an estimated $300 million over the next five years.
GSA’s own year anniversary deliverables which will improve how GSA provides digital services to its customers include:
Since the release of the Digital Strategy last May, we’ve been busy. With this May’s related Executive Order and Open Data Policy making open and machine readable data the new default for government information, we look forward to following through on these deliverables and continuing to move the government into the digital age.