The crown jewel in GSA’s historic building inventory, the National Historic Landmark Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building in Washington DC has witnessed more than 100 years of American history.
Built between 1871 and 1888 as the State, War, and Navy Department Building, the building brought these rapidly growing interrelated government departments together under a single roof. In 1949, the building became the Executive Office Building to better identify its occupants, the Bureau of the Budget and White House staff. In 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower held the first televised presidential press conference in the Indian Treaty Room. The building has housed all Vice Presidents and their staffs, beginning with Lyndon B. Johnson.
In 1957 the President’s Advisory Commission on Presidential Office Space recommended demolition and replacement with a modern office
building, but thankfully it was never acted on, and in 1969, it was designated a National Historic Landmark.
- Earlier this year, the work done to restore and preserve the building earned a GSA Design Award.
- The window sills on each floor are designed differently.
- In the center image above, the cow, named “Pauline Wayne,” belonged to President William Howard Taft.